Are you interested in virtual reality (let’s call it VR from now on so it’s faster to read) but don’t know where to start? The truth is, there are a lot of different angles to approach the subject from, and it can get a bit overwhelming. Instead of trying to tackle every aspect of the topic as a whole, let’s break it down into smaller subjects and talk about some good resources to turn to in each category. Sound good?
I Want to Know About the Latest VR Trends
Don’t we all. This is at the top of the list, because it’s honestly what a lot of people are looking for when they search for VR information. The field is changing rapidly. With every passing week comes new advancements and cool new ways to experience the virtual world. Here are some great articles and resources to keep up with new VR tech and trends:
- Blogs are important, but they are always changing and new ones are being launched all the time. Thankfully Feedspot has cultivated a list of the 50 best VR blogs out there as of March 7th, 2017. Don’t feel like scrolling through a list of blogs?
- Visit the news section of the VR Focus site to get a stream of articles about everything VR related. You’ll get a sense of the latest trends and what tech giants are focusing on in their VR development. It is a great way to get a comprehensive look at the field without getting bogged down. The content is fun and interesting while still giving you a lot to think about.
I Want to Know What VR Experts Think About the Field
Getting an expert’s view on VR can give you insight into what the leaders in the field are thinking. This is important to have in your knowledge arsenal, especially if you find yourself talking about VR with friends or coworkers pretty often. While it is great to keep up with the latest trends and developments, following experts and finding out their views will teach you where the VR field is headed and not just where it is right now.
- Find out what Hunter Jensen thinks about VR and why he doesn’t see any point in pitting VR and AR against each other.
- Read The Next 5 Years: Predictions for VR/MR by Lucas Rizzotto. This piece is informative and incredibly well written. It includes key insights like, “One of the most pressing questions about immersive mediums is in what ways they are going to converge with other rising technologies. I believe Artificial Intelligence (more specifically, conversational A.I.) will play a key role in VR/MR experiences, fundamentally changing how we interact within its boundaries.” Rizzotto has also published some other great articles about the field, so his writing will help you get a solid sense of what the field looks like now and what it will grow into as time progresses.
I Want to Know What People Who Work in VR Are Saying
Experts are great, but sometimes they focus too much on theory and possible future developments. If you want to know what people working in the field are working on right now, you should take a look into what the VR workers are up to today. They’re likely experts too, so you are probably going to get some great perspective mixed in with discussions of the current VR field.
Twitter is a great place for this information, VR enthusiasts are posting and sharing content constantly, so you can keep up with the latest without much effort. Some great feeds are:
- @Thomas_Glaeser – His account is active and engaging, contributing useful tidbits and stories to the VR discussion. Glaeser works for CoSpaces. Their bio proves their commitment to the field, “Bringing #VR creation to everyone, including kids: Easily design your own #VirtualReality experiences and dive in – using #MobileVR.”
- @RickKing16 – King shares a ton of great content, you will always have something new to read if you follow his feed. While he doesn’t focus solely on VR, it’s definitely in the mix and on his mind.
- @VRScout – While this isn’t a single person’s account, it is a great aggregation of a lot of the best information on VR that’s out there. Definitely worth a follow.
I Want to Know How VR Can Improve My Business
This is important, because VR is going to take the business world by storm, and getting on board early is important. Early adopters can help set themselves apart, while businesses that lag behind the trends may find their customers hopping over to companies who understand how to use VR in business. To learn more about VR and how it can help your business, you need to explore what people in business are saying about the practical and commercial applications of VR. The best way to do that is to follow a few people and companies from each list above. That’ll keep you up-to-date on the field, and get you thinking about how you can use VR in your business.
You can also check out our post on the subject. We give some quick and helpful advice for getting a jump on incorporating VR into your current business. It’s good to research everything first, and then look at our checklist when you think you are ready to start moving forward with a VR plan.
There you have it! Some of the best, brightest, and most informative VR resources on the web. Don’t forget to look into augmented reality and mixed reality too, since the advancements in those fields are often interesting and can tell you more about the market. Having a solid understanding of the VR field is important to making the most of the tech in the future, so have fun researching!
What other VR experts do you follow for the latest information? Share your favorite newsmakers and bloggers in the comments below so we can all keep up with the latest!